How Much Value Can a Custom Garage Add to Your Home?
When it comes to boosting the value of your home, there are plenty of things you can do. You likely know that upgrading your flooring, doors, windows, kitchen, and bathrooms will all yield a pretty decent return on your investment should you ever choose to sell your house. But do you know if adding a custom garage addition to your Twin Cities home will deliver an appreciable return?
Read on to learn what your potential ROI on a custom garage addition might look like and what you can do to maximize the value it adds to your home.
What’s the Average ROI on a Custom Garage?
Honestly, that depends on several factors. Your location, the market, whether you finish the garage, and how well it’s designed all play a role in the dollar amount a custom garage can add to your home. If you really want to nail down a figure, it’s in your best interest to speak with a realtor who’s familiar with your area.
That said, in most cases, a custom garage addition does add several thousand dollars worth of value to a home. On average, homeowners recoup about 65%-70% of their investment when they sell.
Maximizing the Value of Your Custom Garage
Unsurprisingly, the value a custom garage may add to your home depends on its design, functionality, layout, location, and other factors. Since the quality and usability of the structure play major roles in determining the ROI you stand to get, it’s in your best interest to focus heavily on these things. How do you do that?
Here a few simple things you can do to help maximize the value a new garage can add to your property:
● Hire reputable garage builders. If you’re going to invest in a custom garage, it’s in your best interest to hire garage builders that have a long-standing track record of success and satisfied customers. You can invest in the highest quality building products on the market but if you don’t hire high-quality builders, you’re essentially wasting your money.
● Don’t skimp on building products. Low-quality building products make for a low-quality finished garage. While premium materials will require a larger upfront investment, they’re designed to last longer and perform better than their cheap counterparts. You’ll end up getting a better return when you use high-quality building materials, too.
● Make the space energy efficient. The desire for energy-efficient homes is on the rise and prospective buyers are willing to pay more for houses that feature energy-efficient windows, doors, and other components. Since these features will save you money on your energy bills while you still own your home, they’re worth the investment. And since they’ll continue cutting the home’s energy costs even after you sell, they’re a valuable addition to any custom garage.
● Work with knowledgeable garage designers. The utility of your garage plays a central role in how much it's worth. Working with an experienced garage designer ensures you’ll get maximum usability out of the space and when you sell, the new owners will too.
● Create a usable layout. Multi-use garages are growing in popularity these days and many prospective buyers are seeking garages that can function as more than a simple parking space. Again, working with an experienced garage designer is a great way to ensure you maximize the layout and usability of the space.
● Avoid overcrowding your property. If you don’t have much space on your property to add a custom garage, you need to be mindful of its size and placement. Overcrowding your property can make it less attractive to prospective buyers, so keep that in mind.
Looking for a Custom Garage Designer in the Twin Cities? Contact Sussel Garages
If you’re seriously considering adding a custom garage to your Twin Cities property, get in touch with our team at Sussel Garages! For over 100 years, we’ve proudly served homeowners throughout the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro, and our garage designers are some of the best in the industry. We’d love to make you our next fully satisfied client!
To learn more or get started, feel free to give us a call today at 651-645-0331 (St. Paul) or 612-379-0949 (Minneapolis). You can also request a free estimate online, and we’ll get in touch with you promptly!